Between all the trailers and posters and movie stars at San Diego Comic-Con 2017, it can be hard for we comic nerds to get all the info on what the con is supposedly about – comic books. You may be worried that, as a Wednesday Warrior, you could have missed some important or interesting info about your favorite writers, artists, or characters, but have no fear! While I didn’t go to Comic-Con, I did spend my weekend scouring the internet for little odds and ends of comic book news and here, for your reading pleasure is as much info as I could find (was Valiant even at the con? They have nothing on their site about it), broken into bite-sized bits for your four color loving heart!
- Guillermo del Toro’s Emmy-winning animated Netflix series TROLLHUNTERS will be getting a graphic novel, TROLLHUNTERS: THE SECRET HISTORY OF TROLLKIND. Marc Guggenheim and Richard Hamilton are writing the book, with art by Timothy Green II and Wes Dzioba. Bill Sienkiewicz is the cover artist. According to the Dark Horse press release, the book will be out in February 2017, but unless they invented time travel, I think they mean 2018.
- The best-selling 38 volume (and counting) manga series BERSERK is now available to buy digitally through Dark Horse. You can get the 38 volumes from Comixology
- Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston’s BLACKHAMMER is spinning off into a mini-series, the excellently titled SHERLOCK FRANKENSTEIN AND THE LEGION OF EVIL. The book will be written by Lemire with art by David Rubín. It is the first of a planned series of mini-series about the characters of BLACKHAMMER.
- Lara Croft will be returning to comics this November with TOMB RAIDER: SURVIVOR’S CRUSADE
- Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá’s UMBRELLA ACADEMY will be back in 2018 with UMBRELLA ACADEMY: HOTEL OBLIVION. They don’t say, but I’m guessing the book will be released around the same time the UMBRELLA ACADEMY series premiers on Netflix.
- Oh yeah, UMBRELLA ACADEMY is getting a Netflix series. The pilot was written by Jeremy Slater, who is behind the fantastic EXORCIST series that you all better watch when it comes back.
- Karen Berger, who created Vertigo for DC Comics, has found a new home at Dark Horse. The Berger Books imprint will kick off with four series: HUNGRY GHOSTS by Anthony Bourdain and Joel Rose; INCOGNEGRO: RENAISSANCE by Mat Johnson and Warren Pleece; MATA HARI by Emma Beeby and Ariela Kristantina, and THE SEEDS by Ann Nocenti and David Aja.
- Three of the four books under the Young Animal imprint – SHADE THE CHANGING GIRL, CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE and MOTHER PANIC – will be going on hiatus starting in October. In January, the Young Animal books will have a big old crossover with the DC superheroes and after the crossover, the Young Animal books will start what DC is calling “phase 2” but we all know is a soft reboot.
- DARK KNIGHTS: METAL, the current universe event which already has two prequel one shots, will have six more one shots that tie into the six issue series, which means the mini-series has more offshoots than actual issues. This is why people get annoyed with event stories.
- Coming out of DARK KNIGHTS: METAL, a bunch of new books will launch under the “Dark Matter” banner. The books include THE SILENCER, SIDEWAYS, IMMORTAL MEN, DAMAGE, BRIMSTONE, NEW CHALLENGERS, and THE TERRIFICS (and image of which you can see above).
- DC and Archie Comics are coming together for HARLEY & IVY MEET BETTY AND VERONICA. The series, which will see the two Batman baddies cross paths with the coolest girls in Riverdale will be written by Paul Dini Marc Andreyko, with art by Laura Braga.
- Duke Thomas, the newest Batman sidekick, will finally be getting his own superhero codename, as well as a series all his own written by Scott Snyder and Tony Patrick. The new series, BATMAN: THE SIGNAL has no artist or release date at this point.
- Geoff Johns officially announced Doctor Manhattan as the guy who messed with the timeline of the DC universe, which will all be revealed in the 12 issue series DOOMSDAY CLOCK. While he wouldn’t say it straight out, it appears that other characters from WATCHMEN will appear in the story as well. The book, with art by Gary Frank and Brad Anderson, will start in November and, according to Johns, encompass “everything from Action Comics #1 in 1938 all the way till today, and it leads the DC Universe into tomorrow with issue # 12
- Frank Miller will be tackling a new project, SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE, but the title kinda sounds like a lie since Miller said the story will cover Superman’s life from the moment he lands in Krypton to his start as the hero we all know and love today. John ROmita Jr. will be handling the art.
- Batgirl, Gotham Girl and more will appear in an all women crossover event titled MANSLAUGHTER that will see the men of Earth threatened, and only the women can save them.
- Along with a sequel to WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE, Grant Morrison is working on a sequel to the classic ARKHAM ASYLUM: A SERIOUS HOUSE ON SERIOUS EARTH. The story, which will take place in a future where Damian Wayne is Batman, will feature art by Chris Burnham and will surely be crazy as hell.
- New SANDMAN and INVISIBLES comics were hinted at with images and the number “0808218”
- IDW has snagged the comic book rights to Sonic the Hedgehog away from Archie Comics (who had been handling the comic stories of Sonic for 24 years) and will start publishing a new series about everyone’s favorite Sega character in 2018
- STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will be getting a comic in 2018
- A five issue mini-series, GHOSTBUSTERS: ANSWER THE CALL will focus on the continuing adventures of the characters from the 2016 film. The series will start in October and is written by Kelly Thompson with art by Corin Howell
- IDW and Disney are teaming up for a series of all-ages books, including THE RETURN OF SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES by Romana Scarpo. This is a reprint of the Italian comic and is the first time it will be translated to English. Another Italian comic, WITCH, will also be released in English. REAL LIFE is a series about a group of high school girls who create the perfect boy through social media only to find him in real life. The beloved movie and animated series TANGLED will also get the comic treatment.
- There will also be all-ages Star Wars books and a new BIG HERO 6 series.
- A new series based on the upcoming DUCK TALES revival cartoon is also coming.
- GOOSEBUMPS will be getting a comic series in October.
- Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill are teaming up one last time for LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN VOLUME 4: THE TEMPEST. Once the series is complete, both men are retiring from comics (though Moore has claimed that before so who knows).
- JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS: DIMENSIONS will be a new ongoing anthology comic about everyone’s second favorite fictional all girl rock group (sorry, Josie and the Pussycats are forever #1)
- The 80s cartoon VISIONARIES is also getting a comic. IDW had a lot of stuff going on.
- Robert Kirkman says he knows how THE WALKING DEAD will end, but he doesn’t have a set time that he will end the book.
- A new CYBER FORCE series will start later this year to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the comic. The series, which will run at least 25 issues, is written by Matt Hawkins and Bryan Hill with interior art by Atilio Rojo. Cyber Force creator Marc Silvestri will handle the covers.
- While it doesn’t look like it will be published by Marvel (maybe IDW?), there will be a series of all-ages comics based on Marvel characters, starting with a Spider-Man Christmas special titled DECK THE MALLS.
- Marvel’s reprints of the classic MIRACLEMAN series has been delayed because artist Mark Buckingham is redrawing the issues of the series he originally did.
- Kaare Andrews and Afu Chan’s previously announced IMMORTAL IRON FISTS will be a digital first series
- Ed Piskor, the man behind HIP HOP FAMILY TREE, will be writing and drawing X-MEN: GRAND DESIGN, a six issue series that will cover the history of the X-Men.
- There will be a series of 6 one-shots covering Marvel characters no one really cares about, including DAZZLER, POWER PACK, DARKHAWK, MASTER OF KUNG FU, SILVER SABLE, and NOT BRAND ECHH.
- The Star Wars character Thrawn will be getting his own series by Jody Houser and Luke Ross
- Mark Waid and Chris Samnee will be taking over CAPTAIN AMERICA after SECRET EMPIRE finishes up.
- RUNAWAYS is getting a new comic to go along with their Hulu series
- Marvel is looking to break into the East Asia comics market by starting new books with new characters created by Chinese writers and artists. While no book titles were given, two characters and the people handling them were. They are Aero by writer Zhou Jiajun and artist Xu Ming, and Sword Master by writer Xi Shanshan and artist Chen Xioyun
- Later this year, Marvel will release LEGACY, a 50 page one-shot that kicks off their post GENERATIONS comics. This is, essentially, Marvel Rebirth.
*Header Image – TROLLHUNTERS from Dark Horse Comics