The 13th Floor

Caught on Camera: Brutal Crimes Documented by the Killers

With the ever-changing technology, it’s hard to commit a crime without being caught somehow. A person always leaves a trace, a digital footprint, or is seen by a witness. But, sometimes it’s the criminal who actually leads police to their door.

Killers are (for the most part) a lot like everyone else. They crave attention and instant gratification from posting a selfie just as much as the next guy. Or, they like to keep some sort of diary as a memento for their crimes, so they can pat themselves on the back later.

There are many criminals who have recorded their crimes, and many have even posted them online (if it doesn’t get posted, it didn’t happen, right?). The reasoning for their criminal uploads varies from person to person, but they all have one thing in common: their crimes are brutal, their victims are real, and the evidence speaks for itself.

These are 8 brutal crimes that were documented by the killers.


Canadian porn actor Luka Magnotta was obsessed with being famous. He tried many times to make a name for himself, at one point creating fake rumors he was dating infamous Canadian serial killer Karla Holmoka, auditioning for numerous reality shows, and creating over 70 fake Facebook profiles and 20 fan sites—for himself.

When all of his attempts at stardom failed, the narcissistic pretty boy came up with an idea that would make him go viral. First, he started making anonymous videos of himself torturing and killing kittens. He did such a good job at hiding his identity, that he received no attention for it.

Then, he upped the stakes and decided to bring a human into his video. On May 25, 2012, Magnotta posted a video of himself brutally murdering Chinese exchange student, Lin Jun. The haunting video—titled 1 Lunatic, 1 Ice Pick—depicts Jun tied naked to a bed, blind-folded. A poster of CASABLANCA hangs above the bed, while the song “True Faith” by New Order is blasting in the background. Magnotta repeatedly stabs Jun in the abdomen over 100 times with an ice pick, before decapitating him and dismembering his body.

After the murder, Magnotta mailed parts of Jun’s body to local politicians, and left his torso inside of a suitcase outside an apartment building. Magnotta was eventually captured in June 2012. He was inside an internet café reading news stories about himself. He was sentenced to life in jail.

The streets of Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine were terrorized by two 19-year-old men in July 2007. The sadistic young men, Victor Sayenko and Igor Suprunyuk, murdered 21 people in total, preying on random people as they walked home from bars, fished with friends, and slept on park benches.

All of the victims suffered from blunt force trauma, caused by their weapon of choice: a hammer. The killers ran through the streets with glee, viciously attacking adults, children and everything in between. They even attacked a pregnant woman and removed her unborn child from her belly.

Many of the murders were recorded on their cell phones. The grisly assault on 48-year-old cancer survivor, Sergei Yatzenko, was recorded and leaked online under the title “3 Guys, 1 Hammer.” The hard-to-watch video displays Yatzenko’s horrifying torture and murder, and includes a smile to the camera from the killers.

Luckily, the remorseless murderers were arrested for their crimes and sentenced to life in prison. Their brutal acts earned them the name, Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs.


The Academy Maniacs were allegedly inspired by the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs. The killers were Nikita Vakhtangovich Lytkin and Artyom Alexandrovich Anoufriev, and their murder spree happened on the streets of Irkutsk, Russia beginning in November, 2010.

Like the Dnipropetrovsk Maniacs, these killers also recorded their murders. The pair would randomly attack people they considered as weak—like drunks and homeless men. Their victims were attacked with mallets and knives.

When a video showcasing the two boys mutilating the body of a young woman surfaced, they were arrested by police. Anoufriev was sentenced to life in prison, while Lytkin was sentenced to just 24 years.

When a friend received a Snapchat from 16-year-old Maxwell Marion Morton, they were shocked at what they saw. The image was a “selfie” of Morton, and the dead body of 16-year-old Ryan Mangan.

Disturbed by the photo, Max’s friend quickly saved it and forwarded it to police. Around the same time, Mangan’s mother found her son’s body in their family home. He had been shot in the face. Upon searching Morton’s home, police discovered a 9mm handgun.

The police affidavit described the selfie: “(Police) received a copy of the photo which depicted the victim sitting in the chair with a gunshot wound to the face…It also depicts a black male taking the ‘selfie,’ with his face facing the camera and the victim behind the actor. The photo had the name ‘Maxwell’ across the top.”

When two giggling teenage girls, ages 13 and 14, called police for a ride and took selfies in the back of the squad car, no one imagined the pair had just finished brutally murdering someone. The girls were leaving the Hartlepool, County Durham home of 39-year-old Angela Wrightson, after torturing her for hours and documenting the ordeal on Snapchat.

Wrightson had a TV smashed over her head, was hit repeatedly with a shovel, had screws stuck in her body, was kicked repeatedly—and so much more. After suffering multiple kicks to her torso, the giddy school girls snapped pictures with her slumped-over body and uploaded them to Snapchat. They reportedly committed the heinous acts just “for fun.”

The deadly duo was caught on surveillance leaving Wrighton’s home, and returning later to ensure she was dead. Both girls were sentenced to life in jail.

Missing a movie on television turned fatal for a Miami couple in August 2013. When Derek Medina failed to wake his wife, Jennifer Alfonso, to watch a movie, the pair got into a heated dispute. Alfonoso threw mascara at her husband, who then pointed a gun at her.

The fight escalated downstairs in the kitchen, and it was captured on their home surveillance system. Alfonoso grabbed a knife, and after Medina managed to get it away from her, he got his gun and shot her 8 times. A medical exam found that Alfonoso was in a pleading position during the shooting.

Following the shooting, Medina shocked friends and family by positing an image of Alfonso’s corpse to Facebook. The man claimed self-defense after suffering years of abuse at the hands of his wife. He was sentenced 20 years total for the crime.


Two high school outcasts obsessed with SCREAM and the Colombine High School shooting decided to create their own horrible crimes on September 22, 2006. Friends Torey Adamcik and Brian Draper recorded their evil plans on video while in school, days prior to their horrendous crime.

The pair picked a victim: high school classmate and friend, Cassie Jo Stoddart.

Stoddart was house sitting for family on the night of the attack. Her boyfriend arrived earlier in the night, followed by a brief appearance by Adamcik and Draper. The friends claimed to leave to catch a movie in the theaters, but they actually hid in the basement until Stoddart’s boyfriend left.

When Stoddart was alone, the boys cut the power. They went upstairs, disguised with masks and dark clothing, and stabbed the young girl 29 times, killing her.  After the murder, the boys excitedly recapped the events on camera as they drove away from the crime scene.

Both boys were sentenced to life in prison.

In July, 2015, a horrifying video surfaced, showcasing several people being murdered while in the waters of Fiji. The footage, taken on a cell phone camera, was discovered after the phone was left inside a taxi and turned over to police. The seven minute recording shows several men being shot at as they hopelessly float in the ocean.

The victims presumably are in the waters because their ship sunk. They’re near a ship, hoping to be rescued; however, a voice is heard commanding crew members to shoot. At least 40 rounds of gunshots are sent into the floating men, killing them all.

The killings were never reported to law enforcement, because there is no requirement under maritime law to do so. Taiwanese fishing authorities connected a fishing boat from Taiwan to the scene, but the Captain didn’t give much information. It is believed that the victims were a part of a failed pirate attack, but their names remain unknown.