The 13th Floor

Franchises Reborn & Franchises Rekilled in This Week’s Horror News Rundown

A new year is upon us and with it comes brand new promises and a few shattered dreams. This week on Blumhouse’s Horror News Rundown, we’re taking a look at some exciting previews of upcoming horror films, the cancellation of a potentially great franchise, the resurrection of a horror classic and a whole lot more.

Sharpen your knives and run for your lives… here comes the horror rundown!

 

HIGH-RISE LOOMS WITH NEW TRAILER AND POSTER

KILL LIST director Ben Wheatley returns this year with HIGH-RISE, an adaptation of the 1975 novel by J.G. Ballard about a self-sustaining skyscraper whose residents succumb to violent anarchy and madness. Ballard’s work has previously been adapted to the screen by Steven Spielberg (EMPIRE OF THE SUN) and David Cronenberg (CRASH).

High-Rise Poster

HIGH-RISE stars Tom Hiddleston (THOR) as a doctor who has just set up residency in the building, and finds himself in the middle of warring factions, including an orgiastic aristocracy and a renegade working class. The film debuted at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival to impressive reviews, and is set to make its theatrical premiere in the United Kingdom on March 18, 2016 with an American release date expected later this year.

The first poster and full trailer for HIGH-RISE premiered this week. Watch the unsettling first look above, and check out the stylish new one-sheet below.

 

QUENTIN TARANTINO WANTS TO MAKE ANOTHER HORROR MOVIE

The reigning king of pastiche has revealed that, after directing two westerns and a revisionist World War II flick, he would like to make another horror movie. Tarantino previously touched upon the genre in the serial killer/car chase mash-up DEATH PROOF, originally released as part of the double-feature film GRINDHOUSE in 1997.

But whereas DEATH PROOF was more “badass” than “scary,” Tarantino says if he goes ahead with a horror movie, this one would frighten the pants off of you.

“If I had all the time in the world,” the HATEFUL EIGHT director told Time Out, “I would love to make a really, really scary horror film, like THE EXORCIST.”

Quentin Tarantino Desperado

Even though the quote exploded onto the internet earlier this week, don’t expect Tarantino to delve right back into the horror genre anytime soon. He’s also toying with the idea of a 1930s gangster movie and also a contemporary film, just so he can have what he calls “a cool driving montage.” 

What’s more, even though the horror genre interests him, Tarantino isn’t sure it’s the best fit for his sensibilities. He added, after that tantalizing tease about making a scary movie like THE EXORCIST, “I don’t know if me taking my sense of humor and putting it in the backseat just to hit a tone of dread from beginning to end is the best use of my talents or my time.”

 

PACIFIC RIM 2 HAS BEEN CANCELLED… AGAIN

Nestled into the announcement that director Guillermo Del Toro (PAN’S LABYRINTH, CRIMSON PEAK) is in talks to direct a remake of the 1966 sci-fi classic FANTASTIC VOYAGE – about scientists who shrink themselves to microscopic size to end the body of a scientist to save his life – is the sad news that his PACIFIC RIM sequel is now “off the table indefinitely.(Hollywood Reporter)
Pacific Rim

It’s the second time that a PACIFIC RIM sequel has been shelved. The first came after Del Toro’s original big budget epic, about giant robots saving the world from alien invaders, underperformed at the domestic box office in 2013. But word of mouth, home video and a lucrative international release put PACIFIC RIM 2 back on track… for a while.

Guillermo Del Toro has dealt with setbacks before, but the fact that his most recent motion picture for Legendary, the supernatural gothic period piece CRIMSON PEAK, underperformed just this last year, he may not have the clout necessary to get another PACIFIC RIM off the ground in the near future. Besides, he’s a busy guy. In addition to FANTASTIC VOYAGE…

 

GUILLERMO DEL TORO WILL BRING TROLLHUNTERS TO NETFLIX

But acclaimed horror filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro has added another project to to replace the PACIFIC RIM sequel on his upcoming slate. TROLLHUNTERS, his illustrated novel about suburban kids who discover and do battle with the trolls that live beneath their town, is coming Netflix.

The TROLLHUNTERS series will come as part of a package deal with Dreamworks Animation, which also includes an updated version of he 1980s cartoon series VOLTRON. Del Toro is only attached to TROLLHUNTERS, however, even though he clearly thinks giant robots saving the world from alien invaders is pretty cool too.

Trollhunters

Dreamworks Animation told Variety that the TROLLHUNTERS series “will unleash a new, fantastical world wrapped around two best friends who make a startling discovery beneath their hometown.”

 

THE CONJURING 2 CONJURES UP ITS FIRST TRAILER

After weeks of teasing with set photos and the news that THE CONJURING 2: THE ENFIELD POLTERGEIST might also crossover with the real-life AMITYVILLE HORROR house, we finally got our first proper look at James Wan’s horror sequel this week, and it seems to be scratching everyone’s respective itches to see the Ed and Elizabeth Warren investigate the paranormal. Again. Check it out above.

Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga reprise their roles in the new supernatural thriller, in which the Warrens once again do battle with malevolent spirits to save a seemingly normal family from a real-life nightmare. THE CONJURING 2: THE ENFIELD POLTERGEIST hits theaters this summer, on June 10, 2016.

 

TALES FROM THE CRYPT RETURNS… WITH A TWIST!

The classic horror anthology series TALES FROM THE CRYPT has been unearthed by the TNT network, which announced this week that the show will return and will be executive produced by Oscar nominee M. Night Shyamalan.

Shyamalan’s most recent foray into the horror genre, THE VISIT, came out in 2015 to modest box offie success and some positive reviews, but it’s entirely possible that some TALES FROM THE CRYPT fans will be skeptical of this new version of the hit series, which was nominated for multiple Emmy Awards and featured horrifying episodes from name directors like Richard Donner (THE OMEN), William Friedkin (THE EXORCIST), Tobe Hooper (POLTERGEIST) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT).

Tales from the Crypt M Night Shyamalan

The original series, like the 1972 feature film, was based on the iconic comic book series from E.C. Comics, which dominated the newspaper stands in the 1950s until public outcry against the salacious content led to the “Comics Code Authority,” a system of self-censorship that shifted the focus of the comics industry away from the horror genre and directly into superhero power fantasies.

Shyamalan recently made a big splash on television with the eery series WAYWARD PINES (which is actually really good, you should check it out). His interpretation of TALES FROM THE CRYPT will be part of a new two-hour block of horror programming on TNT. The second series in that block will be announced later this year.

 

THE CABIN FEVER REMAKE ARRIVES IN JUST ONE MONTH

After the original, rather baffling news that Eli Roth’s CABIN FEVER would be remade barely a decade after its original release, we get the rather sudden news that it’s coming out in just one month. (from Bloody Disgusting)

The new CABIN FEVER will use the exact same script as the original – yes, really – to tell the story of five young friends who fall prey to a skin-eating virus at their cabin in the woods. The original film helped turn Eli Roth into a household name for horror fans. The new CABIN FEVER director, Travis Zariwny, is a prolific production designer who worked on the cult favorites CHILLERAMA and BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE FALL OF LESLIE VERNON before making his feature directorial debut in 2013 with SCAVENGERS.

IFC Midnight will release the new CABIN FEVER in limited theatrical release, VOD and Digital HD on February 12, 2016.

Cabin Fever

 

FROM HALLOWEEN TO THE NEIGHBOR

We may never get to see Marcus Dunstan’s HALLOWEEN sequel – since the rights to the franchise are currently in limbo, scuttling his plans – but he hasn’t sitting on his hands. A new thriller from the director of THE COLLECTOR and THE COLLECTION will arrive soon, called THE NEIGHBOR.

Bloody Disgusting described the plot as follows:

“In the town of Cutter, most people keep to themselves. But when John comes home to find his girlfriend missing, he sneaks into his neighbor’s house, finding his girlfriend and several other kidnapped people tied up in the basement. When the neighbor come home, John is forced to get out of the house alive and lead the group to safety.”

It sounds like a straight-up scary version of THE ‘BURBS, and that sounds just fine to us. THE NEIGHBOR, which has already completed filming, will reunite Dunstan with his THE COLLECTOR star Josh Stewart. No release date has yet been given.

Josh Stewart The Collector Marcus Dunstan The Neighbor

 

31 GETS ITS R-RATING AFTER ALL

If you’ve been following our Horror News Rundowns, you’ll know that Rob Zombie’s latest horror movie – set, like several of his other films, at Halloween – was having trouble with the Motion Picture Association of America. Like many horror movies before it, 31 was having trouble securing the “R” rating it needed to play in movie theaters nationwide, even after multiple attempts to re-edit the film.

Now, word comes from Box Office Mojo that 31 finally passed muster with the MPAA, and secured its R-rating for “Strong Bloody Horror Violence, Pervasive Language, Sexual Content and Drug Use.”

Yup. Sounds like the sort of film that parents all over the country will want to see with their kids. (Don’t worry, the Unrated cut will eventually wind up on home video.) Rob Zombie also premiered the new poster for his horror thriller (above).

31 will debut at the Sundance Film Festival this month. An official theatrical release is expected later this year.

31 Poster

 

GODZILLA: RESURGENCE PICTURES MAKE US GOOGLY-EYED

You don’t have to wait until Gareth Edwards wraps up STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE to see another GODZILLA movie. Toho Studios is already hard at work reviving their own franchise with GODZILLA: RESURGENCE, which will bring guys in rubber suits back to the series that made them famous in the first place.

Our first, apparently unofficial look at the new Godzilla came earlier this week with these blurry images of everyone’s favorite kaiju, sporting jacked up teeth and what looks like large googly-eyes. Those bright white peepers have been the subject of some scorn from hardcore GOJIRA fans, but there’s a good chance that they’ll eventually look better on camera, or even by CGI-ed in post.

GODZILLA: RESURGENCE, or SHIN GOJIRA as it is known in Japan, will debut across the pond this summer on July 29, 2016.

Godzilla Resurgence Picture 2

x